SilverSneakers®: Helping Seniors Stay Healthy, Happy and Independent
SilverSneakers is the fitness benefit available to your BlueShield Medicare Advantage patients that offers more than physical exercise. Participants are less likely to be hospitalized1, and 91 percent of active SilverSneakers members report feeling healthier2. Research shows a reduced risk of depression after the first year of active participation3, and SilverSneakers members have more healthy days4.
SilverSneakers nurtures not only a healthier body, but a healthier mind and spirit too. The program encourages social connection through shared experiences in group classes5 as well through events and other activities6. Lunches, pot lucks, walking groups and local field trips help foster friendships and social interactions.
Your BlueShield Medicare Advantage patients can use equipment and other amenities such as pools at any of the 16,000+ SilverSneakers participating locations6 nationwide. Locally, that includes not only national chains like LA Fitness and YMCAs, but also Vent Fitness and ABC Sports and Fitness. Many locations offer SilverSneakers group fitness classes5 designed to meet patients where they are – from beginner to advanced. SilverSneakers classes are led by instructors trained specifically in senior fitness.
To learn more about the program, visit SilverSneakers.com. If you would like SilverSneakers brochures or posters for your office, please contact your BlueShield account representative.
- Nguyen Q, Ackermann RT, Maciejewski M, Berke E, Patrick M, Williams B and LoGerfo JP. Managed-Medicare Health Club Benefit and Reduced Health Care Costs Among Older Adults. Prev Chronic Dis 2008;5(1).
- Crossman, Ashley Fenzel. “Healthcare Cost Savings over a One-year Period for SilverSneakers Group Exercise Participants.” Health Behavior and Policy Review 5.1 (2018): 40-46(7). Ingenta Connect. Web. 15 Jan. 2018.
- Nguyen, Koepsell, Unutzer, Larson and LoGerfo. Depression and Use of a Health Plan-Sponsored Physical Activity Program by Older Adults. Am J Prev Med 2008;35(2):111–117
- SilverSneakers 2018 Annual Participant Survey.
- Membership includes SilverSneakers instructor-led group fitness classes. Some locations offer members additional classes. Classes vary by location.
- Participating locations (“PL”) are not owned or operated by Tivity Health, Inc. or its affiliates. Use of PL facilities and amenities is limited to terms and conditions of PL basic membership. Facilities and amenities vary by PL.
SilverSneakers is the registered trademark of Tivity Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
Working with Us
We want to hear from you! Have a topic request for the next Blue Bulletin? Email us
Stay in Touch! Sign up to receive emails for provider news and information