Caring for Your Loved Ones
As a caregiver, you need help too. At BlueShield of Northeastern New York, we're here to support you with the information, resources and tools to make your life a little easier.
It’s important to consider how much help you want from family members when making decisions about your health care. If they’re involved with your care planning, they should understand your needs and wishes when it comes to treatment decisions. Make sure to talk with them about the medical facts of your treatment and your wishes. Completing a Health Care Proxy can help guide this conversation.
Talking with others on your health care team
- Plan ahead with your caregiver to make sure you get the most out of each doctor’s appointment
- Prepare a list of questions and concerns and put the most important items at the top
- When you visit the doctor, bring your caregiver so they can help you remember important information
- If something is unclear, ask for further explanation
- Bring a recorder or take notes so you can review what was discussed
- Keep a file of your medical information including medications, tests, and dates of procedures
If you have a lot to discuss with your doctor, ask if you can:
- Schedule a longer appointment
- Ask questions by phone or email
- Speak with a nurse or another member of the health care team
Are you caring for someone else?
If you’re caring for a family member, be a part of the conversation when they talk to their doctor. Caregivers who receive direction from doctors are more confident about giving care and provide a higher quality of care.
For many people, becoming a caregiver is often a new, unfamiliar experience. And finding the right information - or even knowing where to look - can be challenging. That's why we're bringing everything to you. Here you'll find articles, product recommendations and other resources to help in your caregiving journey.
American Red Cross
Senior Resources Guide:
National Alliance for Caregiving
National Association of Area
Agencies on Aging
National Institute of Health Medline Plus
National Family Caregiver Support Program:
BlueShield of Northeastern New York (BSNENY) is a division of HealthNow New York Inc., an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. BSNENY complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-833-735-4515 (TTY 711). 注意：如果您使用繁體中文，您可以免費獲得語言援助服務。請致電 1-833-735-4515 (TTY 711)
Content last updated October 29, 2020