When you or a loved one is experiencing a serious illness, there is often pain and other difficult symptoms. Palliative care can help you cope with the physical and mental effects of an illness, and help improve quality of life. According to the Clinical Practice Guidelines for Quality Palliative Care: National Consensus Project, “The number of individuals with a serious or life threatening illness continues to grow as a result of an aging population and advances in technology that allows increased longevity.”
Due to advances in technology, there is an increase in members who are reluctant to accept hospice services, with the implication for end of life care. For these members, palliative care is an option to respond to the patient and family needs.
Our Palliative Care Program
Blue Shield's Palliative Care Program ensures that you receive the necessary services to support you while facing a serious illness. This program is a collaborative effort to plan, coordinate and monitor healthcare options and services that fit your needs. Through the use of service plan benefits and community based resources, your case manager will provide diverse, innovative, and integrated management of care.
Your team includes:
- Your doctor/provider
- A registered nurse case manager
- A social worker/counselor
- A palliative care consulting doctor
- 24/7 on-call visits for managing pain and symptoms
- Provider visits for symptom assessments
- Education and advice on living with illness
- A social worker to help connect with community services
- Help with developing goals
- Strategies for coping with side effects from treatments
- Assistance with advanced care plans
- Frequent contact to check on the patient and answer questions
Who is eligible for the program?
In-home support is available for members residing in the Capital District who meet the criteria. The case management support is offered to any member who is facing a progressive illness including, but not limited to:
- Advanced heart disease, including congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Advanced lung disease, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and pulmonary fibrosis
- Cancer, even if the patient is undergoing active treatment with radiation or chemotherapy
- Progressive neurological diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), multiple sclerosis (MS), and stroke
- Repeated hospitalizations or emergency department visits
To enroll in the program, click on the button below, or call one of our case managers at 1-877-878-8785, option 2. Help is only a click or a call away.
Explore Health Topics
Ready to Enroll in our Programs?
Looking to opt out of a program? Learn more.
Related Health Topics
Contact Our Health Management Team
Speak with a care manager today! Call 1-877-878-8785, option 2.
Did You Know?
Members eligible to receive our wellness debit card can redeem their card at various wellness centers, including yoga studios, and massage, spa services and more!