November 05, 2022
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is recognized as the third leading cause of death in America. If you smoke or are regularly exposed to secondhand smoke, you are at risk for developing COPD.
Symptoms of COPD include:
- Constant coughing/wheezing
- Shortness of breath
- Increased mucus or phlegm
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, talk with your doctor. Ask if a spirometry test is needed.
Create healthier air at home:
- Declare your house a smoke-free space
- Use a dehumidifier or air conditioner to keep the humidity level under 50 percent
- Use non-toxic household cleaning products
- Do not store hazardous chemicals in your home
- Refrain from using scented candles, air fresheners, or other fragrances
For more information, visit bsneny.com/healthandwellness or call one of our health coaches at 1-877-878-8785, option 2.
Did You Know?
Members who are eligible to receive a wellness debit card can use it toward wellness centers, therapy and spa services, and more. Learn where you can redeem your card today!