COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Message to Members
As individuals in the United States are being diagnosed with COVID-19 (Coronavirus), we recognize BlueShield of Northeastern New York members may have concerns. While the situation is fluid and information is being updated daily, one thing that will remain constant is our commitment to connecting our members to the care they need. We will update this site regularly when we have new information to share.
- The United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the best resource for up-to-date information on the COVID-19 status.
- If you feel sick, stay home and call your doctor. Any member who suspects they have symptoms of coronavirus should first call their doctor or use telemedicine. Members with Doctor on Demand in their plan can visit bsneny.com/telemedicine to register and set up a visit. Your doctor will determine whether you need additional testing and care and, if warranted, will make a specific recommendation on where to go. Remember, public health officials urge people to avoid simply showing up at the emergency room or urgent care centers without calling ahead.
- The cost of the test is fully covered for our members. COVID-19 testing is only available through a referring physician at specific sites as designated by the CDC. Testing is currently not available at many patient lab sites. This may change, but currently all testing requires a referring physician’s order. Your additional benefits may vary based on your individual plan and where you get the test.
- As with all infectious viruses, we have a shared responsibility to keep our community healthy. We join a number of health agencies who have shared common tips to avoid the spread of any virus, infection or disease, including frequent handwashing, regular cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces, and, most importantly, staying home if you feel ill.
- Members are encouraged to use their mail order benefit to obtain a 90-day supply of their prescription medication. Members are also encouraged to refill or renew their prescription medication at retail pharmacies when 25% of their current prescription is remaining, which is consistent with the CDC recommendation to have a one-month supply of medication on hand. Members’ benefits will apply as normal. Our team is readily available to help members access the medications they need during this time.
BlueShield of Northeastern New York will continue to work closely with the federal, state and local health agencies, our provider community, and will provide immediate updates to ensure our members understand their coverage.
Your access to care is enabled with the security of the coverage 1 in 3 Americans trust with their health. We are here for you and your family through this health situation.
If you have more questions regarding your plan benefits, or to seek information on care options, call the number on the back of your BlueShield member ID card.
Important information regarding our Medicare Centers:
BlueShield of Northeastern New York Medicare Centers will temporarily be closed beginning Monday, March 16. The health of our community and employees is our number one priority, and members will receive support from our team via phone and online during this time. Please call 1-877-258-7453 (TTY 711) or visit bsneny.com/medicare.